License Agreements: Carrie Stephens Art
Read on to find out how YOU can use my digital clipart art, printables, SVG Cutting files, Patterns, and other graphic assets to create everything—from arts and crafts or custom to products to sell for your small business.
Last Update: May 27, 2022
- License Agreements: Carrie Stephens Art
- NOTE: For Crafters & Non-Commercial users:
- Helpful Commercial Use License Terms.
- CSA Copyright
- Single User Licensing
- Limitations and Liabilities Disclosure
- Restrictions (You May Not)
- Permissions (You May)
- CSA License Agreement Types
- Personal Use License TERMS:
- Commercial Use Licenses
- CBCL – Coloring Book Creator License
- Frequently Asked Questions:
NOTE: For Crafters & Non-Commercial users:
If you are NOT using my art downloads for promotion or profit, you can use my art to MAKE or craft anything that makes you happy.
Things you need to know for personal use:
- You will not own the copyright to my art: When a customer (you) downloads or purchases my art resources, the copyright is still mine–even if you purchase it. I am letting it be used, non-exclusively to decorate or make something with it.
- Don’t share my art resources, assets, or file downloads! Not on Facebook, not in groups and please don’t upload it to a drive, sharable library or drop box to give-away or sell—that sucks!
- If you decide to sell something, you make: Take the time to go over the licensing below and make sure you have the appropriate licensing and understanding of restrictions within the scope of your commercial (selling) needs!
Helpful Commercial Use License Terms.
- Design Assets — A design asset is a digital element, supply or tool that can be used as a component of a finished design. Assets can include fonts, color palettes, clipart, patterns, and shapes.
- Royalty Free — A royalty is a payment that is made based on the quantity of sales as opposed to a
- Personal Use — personal use of design assets requires that upon using them, you use meets none of the criteria for commercial use–as in making profit (exchange of money) or promotional purposes.
- Commercial Use — Commercial use involves an exchange of money or any gain. This includes promotional.
- Non-Exclusive — Non-exclusive means that when you purchase an asset, anyone who acquires a license before or after you can also use them.
- Copyright — a copyright holder owns all images unless they forfeit the rights or images are found within the public domain. License Agreements from the copyright holder dictate how their images may and may not be used when it comes to someone else using them for financial gain.
- Intellectual Property (IP) — Intellectual property is a creation of the mind, this includes, copyright, innovation, trade secret or process. The copyright holder has the right to prevent others from reproducing or copying substantial portions of their intellectual property.
- CSA — An abbreviation for Carrie Stephens Art!
- Finished Files — I refer to my art printables and developed compositions as “finished files”. This group of downloads consist of: coloring pages, wall art, stickers, collage sheets & craft printables and are intended for personal enjoyment only.
- End product — An “end product” is a finished good (physical or digital) produced / developed as the result of a manufacturing process or design activity, for a new purpose.
- Supply Based Product — If your end-product will be used by someone else with the intent to create / manufacture something else using it, this is considered a “supply-based product.”
- Composition — A composition is a work that has been composed and arranged by putting together other elements to form a wider creative design and make it “your own”.
- Clip Art (Clipart) — Clip Art is a design asset (illustration) used to illustrate a concept or add a decorative enhancement to a wider design compilation.
- Digital Papers — aka: Digital Backgrounds, Digital Scrapbooking Papers, Digi Paper. Digital papers are typically 12-inch image files (jpg) that can be used for printing, creating digital art, images or memory keeping activity within a digital software–Digital Scrapbooks.
Carrie Stephens Art is protected under Canadian, International Copyright Law and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) as well as unfair competition laws of Canada, Foreign Jurisdiction, and International Conventions.
© 2022 Carrie Stephens Art | All rights are reserved.
Single User Licensing
Upon Downloading Carrie Stephens hereby grants you: a single user, a non-exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide right to use the graphics in the following ways, subject to the limitations set out in the terms of the license you hold:
Limitations and Liabilities Disclosure
The acceptable, ethical use of Carrie Stephens Art resources is the sole responsibility of the licensee (you).
Under no circumstances will I be liable to you or any third-party entity, including your client / customer—for unforeseeable events, and / or outside damages—including, but not limited to lost profits, machine malfunction or business interruption.
Upon purchase you acknowledge that the resources you have downloaded from Carrie Stephens Art have not been exclusively developed for any single specific use or your custom needs and as such, images are interpretive and characterized.
It is your responsibility to:
Check Trademark Class Registration
While I check trademark registrations upon creation of Art, if you are selling a product with words or phrases on it, using one of my files, you MUST to be aware that you need to also self-check Trademark registration based on the product you are creating. I take responsibility for my own unintentional IP infringements, not yours.
Use my images in an acceptable and ethical way.
Graphic resources and art are not intended to portray factual accuracy or be representative of history. If you use my images to represent a culture or a group of people and it is found to be offensive or promote any misinformation intentionally, this is your responsibility.
Restrictions (You May Not)
These restrictions for distribution and design requirements apply to all Carrie Stephens Art, Downloadable graphic assets or “Finished” Craft / Art Printables & Licenses!
You May NOT distribute Carrie Stephens Art resources
This includes: Sublicensing, Re-selling, Renting, Lending, “Giveaways” or Shares, claiming as your own as is or with modifications.
Examples Of Restricted Distribution OF Resources:
- Uploading CSA assets to a drive or cloud with the intent to distribute freely for third-party use.
- Sharing my downloads in a group or with a friend
- Providing design assets to clients—claiming as your own.
- Making customizable templates for other makers— photo albums, printable templates, Canva templates.
- Embedding assets as is, to be extracted or manipulated.
These are product types that I simply don’t allow my resources to be used to create. Regardless of which license you have purchased.
- Web Templates
- Customizable Digital Templates (Photobooks, Canva, Pinterest images)
- Print on Demand Marketplace Products
- You can compose a wider design using my digital assets, have the item printed on a print on demand platform to sell them through your own business but not upload images to a POD marketplace–Redbubble, Society6, Zazzle–for print on demand sales within the POD marketplace.
- Image focused, low-content books.
- Digital or printed (POD) (unless you have the coloring book creator license)
- Stock Images and other Graphics products–in any format.
- Ding Bat Fonts
- Logo Templates
- You can create your own logo, but not sell a logo template file to be customized.
- Digital Supplies & Craft Files
- Cutting Files (Stencils or image cutting files)
- Sublimation Images as digital downloads
- Clipart Graphics
- Brushes or digital design supplies / graphics (including scrapbook kits, digital stickers.)
- Digital Scrapbook / Collage Papers
- Die Cut Images
- Rubber Stamps
- Power Point slide TEMPLATES (content filled slides are fine)
- Photo Albums with movable objects
End-Products Requiring An Extended License
Below is a list of end-products that can be created, but ONLY if you have the extended license that extends you permission to make what I consider to be supplies-based items or an item that can resemble the original but offered within a wider product.
- Customizable Classroom or Party Décor SETS.
- Coloring pages. (The coloring book creator license.)
- Digitized Embroidery files
- Craft Supplies: (PHYSICAL–not digital)
- Embroidery Templates / Transfers
- Stencils (cookie, art, craft)
- Sticker sheets (image focused)
- Repeat Patterns
- Texture plates
- Design Files
Permissions (You May)
You may use Carrie Stephens Art / Graphics under the standard license in SO many ways. Now that we have covered the restriction, here is a generous list of the things that you CAN DO under the standard license!
Examples of Things you can do:
- Recolor and modify art colors and design (erasing) to suit the need of your composition.
- Use background patterns and repeats within clipping masks to clip into shapes and objects.
- Enhance text heavy images on your social media (Pinterest pins, Facebook banners, sale announcements)
- Create your own custom product packaging.
- Logo / Web images, banners, and buttons
- Must be 72dpi and consist of more than just the images.
Examples of things you can make to sell!
A list of the types of things you can use clipart or digital papers to design and create items to sell. This list consists of physical and digital items and should all follow the terms of the license you have bought.
This list does not extend to SVG craft files or Finished Printables.
- Apparel and Décor
- Tote Bags
- Kitchen Towels (sublimation)
- Nail wraps (printed designs)
- Party Decor
- Artwork & Handy Crafts
- Mixed Media
- Wood Designs & Carvings
- Textile goods
- Digitized Embroidery Files (extended license)
- Applique (extended license)
- Fabric (extended license)
- Paper Products (Printed, Physical Items)
- Greeting Cards & invitations
- Print images and backgrounds as die cuts to create custom cards to assemble and sell as a finished product.
- Sticker Sheets (Extended license req)
- Greeting Cards & invitations
- Cards and Invitations (Digital)
- Fully finished Cards
- Customized (no DIY digital templates)
- Printables (Digital)
- Party Banners
- Sticker Sheets (Req extended License)
- Reward charts
- Cake and Cupcake toppers
- Organizational Binder “book”
- Planner Stickers (extended license req)
- Coloring and activity books (coloring book creator license needed)
- Lead magnets (that included your own content)
- Wedding and Party Printables
- Signs and Wall Art
- Invitations (Must be customized w/ names)
- Thank you, cards.
- Table numbers
- Place Cards
- Educational Resources
- Classroom Décor (extended license required)
- Wall art
- Bulletin board decoration
- Work Sheets
- Classroom Lessons
- Coloring Pages (requires the coloring book creator license)
- Classroom Décor (extended license required)
And SO MUCH MORE!!! If you have any questions about a product that you want to design to make or sell for your business, by all means, PLEASE contact me, and ask!
NOTE: It is helpful if you include details of what you want to make / do and whether your business is online focused or craft fair / makers market / brick and mortar.
CSA License Agreement Types
Carrie Stephens Art (CSA) offers FIVE different licensing options for digital product offerings.
PUL – Personal Use License—Non-commercial use ONLY—not upgradable.
TUL – Trial Use License—Limited Quantity + Credit on Digital Creations.
SUL – Standard Use License—>Limited Quantity—no “Supplies”
EUL – Extended Use License—No quantity limits—”Supply” type items.
CBCL – Coloring Book Creator License—Essential for designing coloring resources
Personal Use License TERMS:
All of Carrie Stephens Art resources can be used for personal use. A Personal use license type will be applied to the resource downloads that Carrie Stephens Art has made available only for personal use
Downloads labeled with a personal use license are “FINISHED files” that I share exclusively for personal / classroom use ONLY.
You May NOT:
- Distribute art assets or printables labeled as personal use. Distribution includes to sublicense, resell, rent, lend, transfer, give away free, share or claim as your own.
Personal use items will fall under these three categories:
- Activities—Coloring Pages, Craft Templates, Printables
- Decorations—Posters, Printable Alphabets, Party Decor
- Art—Wall Art, Collage Sheets, Stickers, Printable Paper Designs (8.5×11).
Commercial Use Licenses
TUL: Trial Use License TERMS (Free Downloads)
A Trial Use License will be applied on Cutting file, Sublimation, ClipArt or 12×12 Digital Paper downloads available as “Freebies” or marked as “Free Download”.
NOTE: Unlike Personal Use Only Licenses, Trial License allowances can be upgraded by simply buying a Standard License for that product.
The following restrictions / requirements apply.
TUL: SVG Cutting Files & Sublimation Images
- Create physical goods using SVG or SUBLIMATION files ONLY for your personal use.
- Have the option to upgrade to a standard license if you wish to sell a physical item you made using it–locally (offline) only. (As per “finished file” restrictions)
TUL: Graphics – Clipart & Digital Paper
If you download Clip Art or Digital Paper Pack with a Trial License, you can do everything with it that you can do with the Standard Use License, apart from quantity limits and credit requirements below.
- Quantity limited: A combined>200 end products for promotion or commercial use.
- Credit Required: A direct link insertion is required for the use of this license within digital downloads you create to sell or give-away.
SUL: Standard Use License Terms
Upon purchase of each resource with a standard license, you may use the digital files to create a new end product under the terms, providing your end use of the different file types meets the outlined requirements below:
SUL: Svg & Sublimation Files
End Products: SVG cutting files and sublimation art printables are offered with a standard or trial use license only and are restricted for Online Shops or Print on Demand Marketplace sales. (Redbubble, Merch, Society6, etc.)
- Distribution limit > 100 units.
- Purchase the item again for a renewal (license) if you go beyond this quantity of end products distributed using this set!
- SVG cut Files & Sublimation Printable Images are to be used to create physical items like t-shirts, Totes or Signs for personal, gifting or small business (local sales)
- SVG and sublimations are not for selling prints or sublimation transfers.
SUL: Graphics – Clipart & Digital Paper
End Product design using clipart, stamps and digital paper resources has four straightforward requirements.
- Distribution limit > 5000
- The end product you compose / create must be significantly different than the licensed resource.
- To accomplish this, you will use effort and skill to combine multiple decorative elements within a broader design–this effort will ensure a new design that will stand on its own, is created.
- The End product you create must not be directly competitive with the original resources used to create it.
- The finished design must be flattened and the original art not extractable from your design by a 3rd party.
EUL: Extended Use License terms
An extended license for clipart and digital paper sets is needed when the end-product that you want to create will be used as a “supply” (craft or tool) for someone else to also create an end-product with. (Examples Below)
If you purchase an Extended Use License to use resources within the design of your “supply” product, you may use those graphic sets under the standard license terms, as well as apply the following additional terms and uses of the extended use license listed below.
- Unlimited end product distribution—no additional licenses to purchase or tracking of quantities sold.
- You may create products that replicate the original image. Apart from product types include on the restricted list. restricted-end-products
- An extended license purchase doesn’t mean you don’t have to put effort into creating an original, transformative design. This allowance is just if the product type doesn’t allow for it. (Like texture plates or embroidery files.)
- The only digital products I offer under an extended license are Clipart Sets & Digital Papers / Patterns. SVG's and Finished Printables like coloring pages are excluded.
Must have an extended license for:
- Texture plates for clay.
- Custom Fabric
- Not for print on demand marketplace sales, but selling in a shop or using to make a product.
- Scrapbook Paper
- physical product only
- Themed sticker sheets (printed only)
- Please give it a theme, extended license or not, make it original to your business, not just the images on a white background.
- Digitalized Embroidery files.
- Example art file provided w/in the download must be low resolution.
- Embroidery Templates
- printed on fabric or patches
CBCL – Coloring Book Creator License
The coloring book creator license is a product license that can only be purchased with a specific product in my shop–The Coloring book Creator.
You must have this license if you wish to make coloring pages / coloring books to sell with my design resources. This license also allows you to use any of my other line art products bought with a standard license to make coloring books or printables.
DO NOT PURCHASE if you don't agree with the terms below. I get to set the rules on my own art 😉 Respect and support the creators if you are using it with the intent to make profit.
CBCL: 3 Requirements
The coloring book creator AND add-on sets are sold for the purpose of allowing you to create a visually appealing finished coloring design. Layering & using creativity in assembly is required.
Below are the required terms of using the coloring book creator to make and sell coloring pages.
I don’t want to see low effort junk a bunch of images on white pages and sold as coloring books, to protect my art and those who invested in this product.
1. Four DESIGN Elements (minimum) included on each page!
4+ elements includes any text you add in as a single element UNLESS you create a text-based poster where the text takes up 30+% of your page surface. In this case, the text can be counted as one or two of the elements, depending on the real-estate it takes on the page.
If your finished resource or product is educational or serves another purpose other than coloring, you can use less than 4 elements as long as the coloring / image focus is less than 1/2 of your page.
NOTE: It is not something to stress over, just try to put a little creativity or secondary purpose in it! I just want to make sure that everyone isn't making coloring pages with the same single “main” images. I included a wide variety of little bits, pieces and borders that can be added to a page to make it complete–confetti dots, swirls, etc.
Variety is key to the success of my product AND in your finished product selling.
2. Registration Required
Unlike my other licenses, Registration for the coloring book creator is needed for commercial or promotional purposes. The license is NOT active until you register!
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR LICENCE
With your purchase, you will get a link to register -a simple google form where you can just fill in your business name / blog, name, and email address.
If you want to make coloring pages to SELL to a third-party, that third party needs to register their own license unless it's a blog and you are making a guest post with a link back to your own site
Paid or FREE downloads with coloring being the focus activity / purpose for the product MUST include credit on the coloring page itself. The Credit line on a page can be made small w/a lower opacity -light grey.
If creating a printed (tangible) book, credit can be in the credits page at the start of
the book only.
EG: Your Name / Shop | Art By: CarrieStephensArt
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is a license agreement?
A license is a legal agreement made between the “Licensee”(YOU)–and the “Licensor” (Carrie Stephens / copyright holder.) for the USE of assets and digital resources under terms as outlined.
How does A License Agreement work?
By downloading digital products created by Carrie Stephens, you acknowledge this act as a binding legal agreement and understand that all intellectual property under this non-exclusive license remains the property of Carrie Stephens Art, worldwide.
Carrie Stephens reserves the right to make changes to these Terms and License.
When Does The License Agreement Take Effect?
You are bound to a license agreement upon purchase.
It is your responsibility to understand your own needs as an individual user and ask questions prior to using the product.
You are also responsible for upgrading or discontinuing your license if your needs exceed the outlined terms.
As such, if you have downloaded / purchased Carrie Stephens resources, you must discontinue use of the graphic resource immediately and permanently delete them from your device / hard drive / cloud / disk.